Monday, February 1, 2010

a little background


Welcome to my 7th blog! The previous six that I have tried to launch and keep up with have failed fantastically. But with Texty Food, I really feel like I found something I won't just abandon after one lazy weekend. So here's to a new year, another new blog, and a new resolution to Stick with it.

A little background about Texty:  I think all recipes in a cookbook should be accompanied by a photo.   It's inevitable that the ones without it are going to be neglected, because nothing is more inviting than a flashy, well photographed, professionally styled dish.  The photos in cookbooks are extremely glorifying! Cheese is always melted golden brown, the honk of meat is juicy (but not bleeding, which happens a lot when I attempt medium rare), and the chocolate ganache is perfect - not a single trace of a bump. I'm always bookmarking these pages.  The text-only recipes are so, so neglected. All they have are words, and more words, and most people are probably turned off by excessive text. Like this paragraph.

I started this blog so I can cook the texty recipes and give them the photos they deserve. I don't know why the author or the editor decided to demote them to visually boring pages, but it can't be because they're sub-par recipes. I believe that if they made it into the book, then it must be some sort of delicious.

My hope is that by giving these recipes a picture, it will inspire someone to cook it in their kitchen, or to start adopting recipes from their own pile of texty cookbooks.

And if you do tackle a "boring" recipe on your own -- please take a picture and send them my way! I want this personal blog to one day grow into a community project, and I'd love to have contributions. 

This is as wordy as my posts will ever get, I promise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment