Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A deviation

"I don't know how much ketchup; just add it until it tastes good." 

My mom is particularly good at making two things: salad dressing, and Bolognese sauce. The latter is my favorite dish of hers. She (and the rest of Japan) call this "Meat Sauce," I guess because of the ground beef.  Japan does a lot of deliciously wonky things with their pasta -- fish egg & butter, ketchup & deli ham, fermented soy beans, and so forth.  I know my mom's "meat sauce" is far from the authentic Bolognese recipe, but it tastes like home which makes it the most delicious thing in the world. 

I still do not how to make it taste like hers. But I get closer and closer each time I try.  Every time she makes it at home I STARE at her from the counter and try to eyeball the measurements.  But it's hard when she adds what seems like 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce, and then 30 minutes later she comes back and shakes a few more drops WHILST adding some more broth and it's like WAIT.  Please, one at a time.  And there goes a few more while I'm not looking. 

I don't have a recipe yet...but I will soon. 

1 comment:

  1. yum! I wanna try! Your mom cooks like I how cook, no exact ingredients, dash, pinch and shake. voila!

    ReplyDelete