Sunday, March 7, 2010

Toriniku no Misoyaki

"What's a nice Jewish girl from New Jersey doing cooking Japanese food?" - AMY KANEKO

I'm sorry for 2 things: one, being lazy with the blog; and two, for the shitty picture. I hate it when a recipe turns out good, but my pictures can't do justice. Sorry this delicious chicken ended up looking like I burned it and then  coated it with clear nail polish :(  I try, I swear. 

In theory, I should know how to make Japanese food, but I do not. I spent 18 years eating it and 0 years helping my mother cook it, so that is why I am a cultural disgrace and now have to turn to a Jewish Jersey lady's cookbook. 

This chicken was good, and so so easy.  If I love anything more than the smell of garlic cooking in oil, it's the smell of soy sauce burning on a grill. Amy prefers white miso, but I used what I had (regular) and it was fine. 

Toriniku no Misoyaki (Grilled Chicken with Miso Glaze) 
Adapted from Let's Cook Japanese Food! by Amy Kaneko

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs 

for the marinade:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Japanese Cooking Sake
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger

for the miso glaze:
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon sake
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup miso (white or regular, but not red because it's much too salty)
3 tablespoons water


DIRECTIONS
1. Mix all the ingredients of the marinade, add the chicken and let it sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours.

2. Heat a stove-top grill on medium heat. 
3. Combine all ingredients of the miso glaze and mix well. 

4. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Place chicken on the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes. Turn it over, and brush with the miso marinade. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, turn the chicken over, and brush again with marinade. Continue to grill, repeating the turning and glazing, until the chicken is cooked through. It should be done in about 15-20 minutes.

Serve over rice or with salad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment